the TeX world
Typesetting, fonts, publishing, …
TUG 2018: July 20-22, 2018
The 39th Annual Meeting of the TeX Users Group
Official satellite conference of International Congress of
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
- Institute for Pure and Applied Mathematics
Estrada Dona Castorina, 110 (room 232)
Rio de Janeiro RJ 22460-320
Happily, United States, Australia, Canada and Japan passport holders
travelling to Brazil for the conference can apply for an
electronic visa. The entire process is online and there is no need
to visit a Consulate in person or by proxy, as there has been in the
past. The Brazilian
Consulate pages give an overview. (Although it is still fine to apply for a visa in person if you wish; you'll have to explicitly
accept the SSL certificate on that Brazilian government link.)
The e-VISA application and tracking can be done on a phone. Free
e-VISA app download links:
information is given on the ICM web site. In short, visas are
required for citizens of the USA, Canada, India, and most Asian and
African countries, while visas are not required for most European and
Central/South American citizens (wikipedia
list of exempt countries). A “visitor” (tourist) visa
normally suffices to attend a scientific conference in Brazil (stated on
the San Francisco
consulate page under Visa Types).
Dates and deadlines
- April 10 - deadline for hotel reservations at our group discount.
Booking hotel rooms early is always advisable.
- June 1 - deadline for abstracts for presentation
- June 1 - deadline for early bird registration discount.
- June 1, 2018 - bursary
application (financial assistance) deadline.
- July 1 - deadline for preprints to be in the printed program.
- July 19 - 8-hour TeX training workshop in Portuguese: from basics to
TikZ and beyond; installation clinic and consultants available
throughout the day.
- July 19, 5:30-7:30 pm - opening reception at IMPA (transportation
to/from hotel provided).
- July 20-22 - conference.
- July 21 - R+knitr+LaTeX workshop,
after regular talks.
- July 22 - excursion to Sugarloaf Mountain (info below).
- August 4 - deadline for final papers for the printed
Special guests from the Lua team
We are very happy to welcome three eminent members of the Lua team as
special guests of the conference: Waldemar Celes, Luiz Henrique de
Figueiredo, and Roberto Ierusalimschy.
The conference will be held at IMPA, the Institute for Pure and Applied
Mathematics, in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, at the foot of Floresta da
Tijuca, the largest urban tropical forest in the world.
A bus will be provided from the hotel to the venue in the morning,
and back to the hotel at the end of the day. Uber to/from the hotel and
the banquet restaurant is also quite reasonable. We will also have two
van (15 seats each) available to our group throughout the day.
For flights: the international airport is GIG (Galeão), while
the nearest airport for local flights is SDU (Santos Dumont).
- Rooms are reserved for TUG conference participants at the Everest
Rio hotel in the Ipanema area of Rio de Janeiro. You can make the reservation
online, or by phone to 55-21-2525-2200 (our conference code is
- The conference rate is available for up to seven days before and
seven days after the conference (thus, July 13-29 in all).
- A block of 50 rooms has been reserved at the conference rate and are
guaranteed only until April 10. After that, the number of rooms
available to the conference will decrease. So, as always, the sooner you
book your reservation the better.
- Rooms must be cancelled at least 24 (better 48) hours prior to
arrival to avoid charges.
- The opening reception will be at IMPA, from 5:30-7:30pm on July 19.
Transportation to/from the hotel will be provided. Details will be sent
- Breakfast at the hotel is included with the room reservation.
- Lunches and breaks will be provided at the conference venue at no
- Dinners are not included with the conference registration or hotel
reservation, but are available at the hotel and several restaurants
- We'll have a banquet (optional extra) on Saturday evening at Rubayat, starting at 7pm. Rubayat is about halfway between IMPA and
the hotel. Van transportation from both the hotel and the IMPA venue
will be provided.
- The excursion to Sugarloaf (see next) on Sunday will include a light
reception, but not a full dinner.
We have organized an excursion to Sugarloaf
Mountain for Sunday afternoon into evening. You can either take a
cable car to the first summit (Morro da Urca), or walk up. The two
groups will join at the first summit and ride the cable car to the main
summit. The first summit is 220m (722ft) high and rather steep. Wear
comfortable shoes suitable for the trail!
the TeX Users Group,
and individual donors.
Thanks to all.
TUG'18 is an official satellite conference of ICM 2018.
New sponsors are greatly
appreciated, as is mentioning the conference to colleagues and in any
- Email: email@example.com.
- Phone, fax, postal mail: see TUG
office contact information.
- Conference committee: Karl Berry, Paulo Cereda,
Robin Laakso, Paulo Ney de Souza,
$Date: 2018/10/25 18:01:23 $;
previous TUG meeting -
next TUG meeting
all TeX meetings